Sunday, October 11, 2009

Awareness Needed

I have really been getting myself worked up lately about the lack of coverage and attention Down Syndrome is getting this month. Everywhere I go and everything I read is talking about October being Breast Cancer Awareness month and I have not seen a mention of DS anywhere except on some of the fellow Mommy blogs I follow. Do not get me wrong I strongly believe in creating awareness for all causes but I think it is so sad that one so close to my heart is being so overshadowed and overlooked. The NFL has been wearing pink all month in support of breast cancer, if these guys can wear pink you would think someone at some point would at least mention October is DS awareness month as well. Every sunday in the paper there are pink items for sale and yet I have to search long and hard online to find a single item referencing Down Syndrome. I have been working on some ideas I can get going here locally at least but really hope to have the time and support to get involved on a much bigger level next year now that I know there is such a minimal amount of coverage. I am hoping to contact some of the local papers and maybe get them to do a write up or maybe a letter to the editor before the end of the month? Me and Leightyn are also working on a project, The Little Leightyn Love Bug Project: Catch the Love Bug!, to be exact! I will post more on this tomorrow and in the near future, we are very excited to be able to do a few things to give back and can hopefully offer some encouragement and support to familys dealing with a new diagnosis. I will also keep everyone updated on some ways you can help us to spread awareness and maybe with that reduce some of the negative stigma associated with Down Syndrome. I know I say it all the time but to me Leightyn is like any other child and we treat her no differantly than we would have if she wasnt born with a little something extra!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a way to help raise awareness: check out this short video -- http://www.ahamoment.com/vote/barry -- about the aha moment of father of a child with Down Syndrome who learned what you can do with challenges. If you like his story, click to vote for him, as the top vote getters in the contest will be aha moment TV commercials next year. As you said, more media exposure around Down Syndrome awareness would be a very good thing, so spread the word if you can.

    Thanks,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete