Monday, October 5, 2009

New Beginnings: Part 2




Are you thinking what I'm Thinking?

Leightyn was born at 2:18 AM after 3 easy pushes. The doctor laid her on my chest and she was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. Billy cut the cord and when he did the Doctor was saying something about it being really thin and gristly, and explaining how they normally are thicker and have a plump jelly like covering. Thinking back now I guess this should have been the first sign that things were going to be a little different than we had imagined. They took Leightyn after Billy cut the cord because she had not started breathing or cried yet, from here things get a little crazy and blurred. Next they were calling for NICU (neonatal intensive care) and respiratory STAT. Suddenly about 10 nurses and doctors came running into the room. I was obviously a little confused and really really scared. All I could do was squeeze my Moms hand and I told Billy to go over there and be with our baby. They were using the bag to breath for her, they kept tapping on her and talking to her, saying "come on", and timing everything. I heard one of the nurses say "Are you thinking what I'm Thinking?". All I was thinking when I heard this was that my baby didn't make it. I probably watch too much Greys Anatomy but it felt like one of those whispered moments between the doctors right before they deliver really bad news or call time on a patient. Little did I know Leightyn had started breathing on her own and right before they were going to rush her out of room. It turns out what they were thinking was that she had Down Syndrome. My nurse came over to me and said, "your daughter has some of the characteristics of a baby with Down Syndrome", plain and simple that was all she said. They got Leightyn wiped down, weighed (6 lbs), measured (19 1/2 in), and bundled before finally handing her to me. When I held her this time I studied her face and I knew, she had those beautiful almond shaped eyes. They told us they would need to do some blood tests to find out for sure, I hoped they would come back normal, but deep down I already knew they would not. I did not cry right away I was determined to stay strong for my baby, my husband, and family at least for a few more hours. I really didn't know what to think or feel at first, I guess I was in shock. I never imagined when I walked into the hospital that evening that I would be delivering anything but a "perfect" and healthy baby girl. To be continued..........

Leightyn was good at keeping secrets! We had to do more than one ultrasound to find out the sex b/c she refused to get in a good position for us! This was killing me since Billy would not let me shop for anything until we knew what we were having :) I did not have the prenatal testing done because the results were not going to change our mind about having our baby, we were going to love her no matter what!! Since I was only 24, and none of my ultrasounds or appointments showed anything to be concerned about, the doctor didn't press the issue. We had no idea Leightyn would be chromosomally enhanced!

Here are some basic FACTS about Down Syndrome!

No comments:

Post a Comment