Friday, October 9, 2009

Going Back!

Tonight the high school I graduated from asked the alumni cheerleaders to come back and cheer for the homecoming game. Cheerleading was something I loved growing up and I was so excited for Billy and Leightyn to come and see me out there making a fool of myself. I was running late as usual but got my 12 minutes of fame when we finally arrived (we only cheered the 1st quarter). Leightyn got to wear a cheerleader outfit of her own passed down from my niece and she looked absolutely adorable! She was the star of the night, everyone wanted to know how she was doing as this was the first time many of them got to meet her! Again I did not have my camera but as soon as I can steal a picture from someone on facebook I will post it here. Bad Bad Mommy, I know I know! One of my old All Star Coaches made a comment which might have caused a break down in those first few days after Leightyns birth and diagnosis. "Bring her on into the gym as soon as she is ready, they start coming at 2 or 3 now! We would love to have her on the team!" she said. When I heard her comment I thought that is exactly right, when she gets old enough and has the clearance of her doctors to do gymnastics I will take her. I know how strong and determined Leightyn is and have no doubt she could excel as a cheerleader, IF SHE so chooses. She loves being the center of attention, can out yell anyone already, dances as soon as she hears music, and has developed a tremendous amount of leg strength. There are 2 gyms in the area that even have All Star Cheerleading teams for special needs children, Step One and Integrity. At the Buddy Walk this year there was a stop where High School Cheerleaders stood and cheered as the walkers went by and I noticed one of them had Down Syndrome as well. I hope that Leightyn will find something to love like I did cheering, and whatever that may be that she will be accepted and treated like any other member of the team/group. She has an amazing following and support group already and I know it will just continue to grow! Tonight felt just like it always did yelling at a crowd that is more interested in the game than anything the cheerleaders said or did but still lots of fun :) It was really great to be home, see old friends, and show off my family! The only draw back was I again felt old, which seems to be a recurring theme lately :0/

No comments:

Post a Comment