Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Love Bug Project!

So I believe I mentioned the project in passing previously but wanted to fill you all in a little bit more. I have been so blessed to have a great support system and wanted to find a way to give that to someone else. In honor of Down Syndrome Awareness Month we decided to make up some tote bags to leave at the local hospital with the request that they be given to mothers who are blessed with the birth of a child with Down Syndrome. When Leightyn was born we had no idea of her DS or heart problems until she was here. We had no information to go on except what the doctors and nurses told us and some info I had from being a psych major in college. The doctors and nurses mainly covered medical concerns which only makes sense. Unfortunately there are a lot of scary things to be concerned about in the beginning medically. The worst part I think is just the unknown. With these tote bags I hope to first remind them to celebrate the birth of their new baby. It is after all an amazing blessing, they have a baby first and foremost and should always remember that Down Syndrome is only a small part of this child and their future. I know I personally wish I took more time in those early days to just celebrate the birth and simply love on my baby. I now know many of my initial fears were unfounded. I also hope these tote bags shine a positive light on having an enhanced child! Last I hope to inspire others to give back in some small way in honor of Leightyn and their child. I have named the project The Little Leightyn Love Bug Project: Catch the love Bug! I call Leightyn my little love bug, she loves to cuddle! The rest of this week and weekend I will be posting and commenting on some of the items that will be included :) I will also be sharing with you the projects that have inspired me to give back! I really hope that the tote bags are something we can do every 6 months and I already have a grand idea for Leightyn's Birthday project next month. I cannot believe my baby will be one!

1 comment:

  1. I think your project is great. Our experience in the hospital following Clara's diagnosis was similar to yours - the basic medical aspects were discussed and we were given basic Ds fact sheets from the CDC and NIH. Clara was born on a Friday afternoon and we would have been left without access to additional information for the entire weekend if I did not have my laptop. If there is anything that we can do to help, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete