Friday, October 9, 2009

Common Bonds

Today we went to the ENT for Leightyns check up. While sitting in the waiting room before her appointment a little girl came in with her Mother. She scanned the room and left her Moms side, she came and sat down in the chair right beside me. She began to play peekaboo and tickle Leightyns little feet, which made her laugh out loud. Each time Leightyn laughed the little girl got the biggest smile and hid those precious almond shaped eyes again and again. Her Mom came over and sat beside her after getting her registered and apologized saying she was a baby magnet and told her to move to another seat and leave the baby alone. I told her there was no need to apologize and that she was jusst fine where she was. There were several other babies in that office today with empty seats beside them to choose, but no, she decided to sit in the chair beside me and Leightyn. This despite the fact my purse and diaper bag took up much of the room in it. I am so glad she did! She was adorable, polite, knew just what to do to make a baby smile, her speech was easily understood, and she knew what was about to happen in each scene of Shrek as it played on the TV. Oh, and she had Down Syndrome, deep down I know she chose to sit by me and Leightyn because she knew they had something very special in common. Maybe she could see it, or more likely just felt it. After waiting an hour and a half and still not seeing the ENT my patience ran out and we left without even seeing the doctor. I like to think I am strong and patient but today I gave in. I know while we were there in that waiting room I was sent a messenger so it was still a good day and we did what we needed to do there! I hope that when this little girl sees a baby to play with in the future that her presence is as welcome and appreciated as it was by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment